Wednesday 6 August 2014

Bowie and Bowman

 So I've caught the sculpting bug again and have been cracking on with trying to nudge my work into different territory.

  Its funny. Years ago (possibly 5 or 6 of 'em) I was given a souvenir postcard by an art teacher for an exhibition for the German artist Thomas Schutte as someone I should look into for artist research to go in my sketchbook for school. He intrigued me but unfortunately, being young, I didn't heed the hint and filed it away in the rather lacklustre artist research section in my sketchbook and rather forgot about it.
 
 Now several years on I find myself remembering Schutte and more to the point find his work having a felt influence on my current work.
 How long this influence will last I don't know, but its intriguing nonetheless.


(Above: [no title] 1994 by Thomas Schutte)





(Above: "This Is Not Bowie" by myself)






(Above: "Bowman" by myself)

A really fascinating and exciting experiment and something I feel I may continue.
The figures are simply sculpted heads suspended by five or six kebab skewers with material draped around the structures to give an impression of a figure which is what Schutte uses in his much larger sculptures.


(Above: Pegleg)


Thanks for reading, more to come...







No comments:

Post a Comment