Thursday, 12 December 2013
Monday, 2 December 2013
A little animated tribute to Doctor Who that my work partner Alex Creed and myself have been toiling away on for the past several weeks.
Some Stop-Motion, some Jammie Dodgers, two Doctors and a TARDIS, what more could you ask for.
Give it a whirl and share if you like.
Special thanks to Justin Dolby for the seamless sound design.
>>The Dodger Warp <<
Friday, 29 November 2013
Some snaps of the "Doctor Who & Me" Exhibition Launch Night/Private View hosted at the National Media Museum of Bradford which featured some of my sculpted works as exhibits and parts of the Exhibition displays. Something I was deeply honoured to be part of.
(Above: Trying to look cool and composed)
(Above: Somehow I always look better out of focus)
(Above: Much to my surprise they had used photos of my other Doctor sculptures as part of the show's Timeline showing the different incarnations of the Doctors. Quite a thrill to see when I walked in for the first time)
(Above: And here are some people apparently laughing at the display)
(Above: Toni Booth, the lead curator of the exhibition, talks to the assembled mass of Whovians, thanking us for our dedication and imagination)
(Above: I smile like a loon as an attendant shows me the wonders of a Timelord Torch)
(Above: Some beautiful portraits of the many faces the Doctor has worn. Note the suspicious gap between Paul McGann and Christopher Eccleston…)
(Above: Such a what?….Such a what?!)
(Above: An assortment of Daleks)
(Above: The "Hub" of the exhibition. My two figures stand in the bottom alcove of the structure. Not brilliantly displayed I have to say, but nicely lit)
A wonderful night of excitement and emotion. So many talented people in such a small space.
So much love, dedication, obsession and talent on display.
A splendid Exhibition that I feel deeply honoured to be part of.
Photos courtesy of Andrew Wade and Susie Billig.
Sunday, 17 November 2013
Principle photography and since wrapped and editing is well underway. Our plan is to complete the short film by the end of the week in time with the 50th Anniversary of Doctor Who on 23rd November.
Here are some more production snaps.
Tuesday, 12 November 2013
Sunday, 10 November 2013
So, Friday 8th November saw the start of the production of the little animated project my working partner Alex Creed and myself had written.
The day was primarily spent assembling the set and experimenting with the lighting. Unfortunately neither of us had proper cameras on us at the time and so had to use our phones, which left a lot to be desired.
That day proved enormously helpful as it gave us a heads up for future problems we would encounter during the next week's production schedule.
Already Alex has gone away to make adjustments to the set to accommodate the props and puppets more comfortably.
So far so good and positivity is high, I hope and am sure it will continue as things come together.
More to come...
Monday, 4 November 2013
For my upcoming animation which will start shooting next week I have begun experimenting with animatable hands using pretty basic latex casting techniques.
I first sculpted a hand out of Super Sculpey and baked it.
Then when it was cured I pushed it into a two-part mould making compound called Siligum which sets almost instantly.
I then popped the hand sculpt out of the mould and dusted the interior with talcum powder, I then painted in a thickish mixture of casting latex.
I repeated coats of latex until it was of good thickness.
Without removing the latex "glove" from the mould I began cutting small lengths of wire and twining them into finger shapes, then laid them into the mould and "glove" and brushed more latex over them.
I repeated adding the latex and when it had dried added a couple drops of glue to the wire armature to ensure it was held in place.
At this point when everything had dried and solidified I popped the hand from the mould and trimmed the latex flashing around the edges.
I then cut small panels of sponge and stuck them in place to bulk out the structure without adding too much weight.
To finish off I gave the sponge parts a wash of glue to seal everything together. This somehow caused the sponge to contract tightening the latex, so a spot of serendipity.
As of yet it is still the translucent yellow that the latex forms into when set, to get the proper skin colour I shall mix my usual flesh tone paint with a little latex and apply it to the hand.
Obviously I could have added the paint to the latex when brushing the first layer into the mould but…well, the thought never occurred to me. Obviously.
Production should last approximately a week and should with any luck be ready to show about a week or so after that.
More to come….